Does Your Pet Have Mange? Ways To Treat It With Items You Likely Already Have In Your House

Mange is a skin disease that is caused by tiny parasites and mites that you likely cannot see with the human eye. Mange can cause your pet's hair and fur to fall out, causes them to itch like crazy and can leave a rash or dry skin behind. If your pet has mange, there are many ways to treat the disease, including seeking prescription creams and pills from a vet. But there are also a few treatments that you may want to try before heading to the vet--using products you likely have at home. Here are a few of the different ways to treat mange with items you likely already have in your house. 

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide can kill a host of mites and parasite types. The easiest way to kill these pests with hydrogen peroxide is to dampen a paper towel or soft cloth with hydrogen peroxide and then wipe it directly on the affected area. This process should be repeated multiple times per day to help kill mites and parasites that are sitting on the surface of the skin. It is important to note that hydrogen peroxide may burn or sting, so don't be surprised if your pet is uncomfortable when rubbing it near a scratch or cut. 

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar does not work by killing the mites or parasites. Instead, it makes their home inhospitable. Parasites and mites hate the smell and taste of apple cider vinegar, so they tend to vacate the host when this product is presented. Just like hydrogen peroxide, apple cider vinegar can be rubbed onto the affected spots on your pet with a paper towel or soft cloth. 

Olive Oil

The last way to treat mange with items you likely already have at home is to use olive oil. Olive oil causes the parasites and mites living on your pet's skin to suffocate, as they can't breathe through the oil. Additionally, olive oil can be soothing to your pet's irritated skin, making this product a win-win. Dampen a cotton ball in olive oil and then dab it on the affected area multiple times per day to help treat the mange. 

Hydrogen peroxide, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil can all be used to treat mange. However, mange can be caused by different types of mites and parasites. As such, your pet's mange may be caused by a stubborn parasite or mite type. If you are unsuccessful treating the mange with the use of home remedies, be sure to seek treatment with your vet. They can look at the mites and parasites under a microscope and determine what type your pet is dealing with. They can then determine how to successfully get rid of the disease once and for all.